Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

today I saw Katie Couric...

Today was my first day of work... I intern with Andy Reeser (who is also a BYU broadcast student) and I'm so pumped that we were picked to work together. I feel like we help put each other at ease when one of us is freaking out with nervousness. We left for work extra early just to be sure that we made it to CBS on time. The morning commute was people watching at its finest. I saw a girl fall asleep and miss her stop (which is one of my biggest fears), and I listened to two moms from Sweden chat (I had no idea what they were saying but I was still mesmerized by how they talked).

When we got to CBS we had to wait in the lobby for someone to come and get us so I had Andy snap this picture in front of their huge wall logo.

my hair was frizzy and flat before work even started... I don't know how I ever survived 18 years of east coast humidity!

When we finally got through security we were greeted by Nick who is the CBS page. Nick is the Kennith of CBS... he's diligent... the fastest phone answerer i've ever seen... and he loves the news more than anyone I've ever met. He's also from Vermont and talks in a deep new english accent. I like Nick a lot... and I hope to get a picture of him soon so you can like him too.

We spent the majority of our work day touring the station... learning the duties of an intern... and meeting everyone on the staff. Andy and I will be working solely on the weekend edition of the news which is awesome because it's a smaller staff which means we'll get more hands on experiences. Plus we are the only two interns right now so we really get to soak everything up!

After work we asked if we could sit in the control room and watch the evening news cast. So, Nick took us downstairs and we got to watch everything behind the scenes. The control room at CBS is HUGE. There are TV monitors in every corner... my eyes were going crazy trying to focus on all of them. Katie Couric is actually in London right now working on the royal wedding (so pumped I came in time to cover this) so she anchored the news with a live shot in London. The guys in the control room gave Andy and I headphones which were plugged into all of the microphones so we could hear everything that Katie was saying both on and off the air. It was really really cool. She seemed really sweet and down to earth. She is also extremely poised and could keep complete composure even when things went wrong with the show.

After work we met up with Anna and Elora at Serendipity. We all shared our experiences from the day and loaded up on some frozen hot chocolate (It was to die for!)

just a couple of interns looking pretty beat

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is so fun to hear about your experiences! Keep posting! I just got done making truffles to sell at the bazaar. I think they are going to sell better than my pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! Post a picture of that guy with the accent! Also a video so we can hear his accent

    ReplyDelete
  3. angela i'm so pumped for your bazaar! i wish i could be there to help/ buy everything you make!

    ReplyDelete