Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What a Weekend!

Since I intern for the Weekend Edition I work Wednesday-Sunday which means I've spent the last two days exploring the city (pretty much alone because all of the other interns are working). The first day I decided to be brave and make my way down to spring st. and do some shopping. I got lost for a little bit but I didn't mind at all because all of the streets were lined with designer shops. Later that night Andy, Kristin and I went to see Mary Poppins. I've heard great things about this show and I wasn't disappointed. It was absolutely adorable. The stunts were incredible (Bert tap dances upside down on the ceiling!) and the music brought me back to the days of singing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in the nursing home my grandma worked at each summer with my sisters.
But NOTHING tops what I did today.... this morning Andy and I woke up at 5 AM and got in line to get tickets to see Live with Regis and Kelly! I am a die hard Regis and Kelly (mainly Kelly) fan. I remember the first time I saw Kelly on the show... I thought she was so poised and I know that this might sound awkward or embarrassing but watching her was what ultimately convinced me to go into broadcasting. Not because I want to do entertainment reporting (although if her job ever opens up I'll have to take over... just sayin) but she's just so good at being conversational and whenever my broadcast teachers tell me that my writing sounds too formal part of me always thinks... "how would Kelly Ripa say this?" So now that I've revealed my creepy obsession with this 40 year old woman... let me tell you about what it was to see her.

Me after we got our numbers for the standby line which meant we were officially going to the show!


First off.. the studio is a lot tinier than I thought it would be... the audience is super small and overall the setting is pretty intimate.

Second, Gelman (the producer of the show) is such a worry wart. He was constantly "forcing" the audience to clap and cheer... and any time he thought of something he wanted them to say he would frantically write it down on a big cue card and hold it in front of their faces.

Regis and Kelly were everything I thought they would be. They were really funny and they had amazing chemistry. They just work really well together and all of the conversation seemed super natural (although some of it was directed through a teleprompter).
the guests on the show were the coolest. I honestly couldn't have picked a better show to come to.
Gelman getting the crowd excited during the Trivia portion of the show

Kelly and Regis reading off of Gelman's cue cards
During the breaks of the show Regis and Kelly would chat with the audience. It was super hard to get pictures of them though because we weren't allowed to use flash (hence the fuzziness in all my pictures)


first we met Andy Samberg who was really laid back and funny.

And then we met Melissa McCarthy (who is in the new movie Bridesmaids).

Then once the show was over they told us to stay put because they had to do another quick interview with a very special guest.... who just happened to be Patrick Dempsy!!!
This was honestly one of the coolest experiences ever. I think I enjoyed it because it was so laid back and easy going. Kelly and Regis weren't nervous or stressed.. people weren't running scripts around... the whole thing was just a well-oiled machine.
Oh, and I had my mom tune in for the show and she saw me jumping up and down like a maniac in the audience... so at least all my enthusiasm didn't go unnoticed.

1 comment:

  1. melissa mccarthy is in Bridesmaids! bride wars is a different movie :P hehe

    ReplyDelete